Thursday, October 20, 2011

Journal #13 - American Dream

The American Dream is something that people every day attempt to pursue. Today's "American Dream" consists of a wealthy business, well that is the persona of it anyway. People believe that to be successful, one must make a lot of money, have a nice job, a family that consist of a happy wife, a son, and a daughter. Although this may be the popular belief of the American Dream, it does not necessarily mean that it is the only dream within reach for Americans. Many Americans are actually happy being average-class citizens. They may not have the most money, but they are happy where they are. For them, "success" comes from being happy, not stressed, and just living life day by day with as minimal worry as possible. I think that for me, I find the successful route of the American dream is the rich and notorious individual. I do not live with the most money. We live comfortably, I have things I want and I get more than most kids my age, but at the same time, I want to live the life of fame and fortune. I want fancy cars. I want to attend fancy dinners with fancy people. I want to have a huge apartment in the skyscrapers of New York City. Many people feel the same way as I do because that is the typical American Dream of people who live in the United States of America. I know my expectations for life are high, and I might not achieve all that I want, but I can at least hope, right? I think as technology increases and more people connect with others all around the world, our expectations in life are way more higher than they were even twenty years ago. Everyone wants cell phones, they want economic cars, and they want to live a life of luxury. I think that is why a lot of are left with a ton of debt. This journal has really made me think about my life and what the typical "American Dream".

No comments:

Post a Comment