Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Catcher in the Rye - Phoebe

One of my favorite characters in The Catcher in the Rye is Phoebe Caulfield. Not only is she one of my favorite people, but also a favorite of Holden’s too. He absolutely adores her and talks highly of her. She is a very intelligent young girl that seems to be more mature for her age than most ten year olds. In a way, Phoebe’s character is like some kind of blissful therapy for Holden. Readers are always reading about how depressed Holden is, but when he talks about Phoebe, he speaks of nothing but positive things. She realizes that Holden is having a hard time grasping reality, but unlike other “phonies” in his life, she does not stray away from her brother.

I think Phoebe’s character is a symbol in Holden’s life for innocence and childhood. He wants to shield her form the big bad monster known as life, but little does he know she is far beyond her years and perfectly capable of grasping reality. To me, it seems like Phoebe is actually more prepared for life than Holden is. She can see her brother struggle with getting kicked out school, dealing with phonies, and even losing his mind. Phoebe is always worried about Holden, telling him that “daddy’ll kill you” (Salinger 172). When Holden tells her that he is leaving and will not be back for awhile, Phoebe decides she is not going to leave her brother and packs her stuff to come along. “’Why can’t I? Please, Holden! I won’t do anything – I’ll just go with you, that’s all! I won’t even take my clothes with me if you don’t want me to – I’ll just take my, – “ (Salinger 206). This shows true love and dedication on Phoebe’s part. It says a lot about her. She wants the best for her brother and loves him very much, even to the point where she would leave her home and travel with Holden. Overall, she is a very mature ten-year old girl who plays a vital role in Holden finding his place in life.

Salinger, J. D. The Catcher in the Rye. Boston: Little, Brown and, 1991. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment