Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Crucible Act II - Character True Color Swag

The whole "true colors" thing to me is kind of annoying. Because I feel a blog is a great way to vent my true feelings, I believe before I go into a very far fetched analysis of important characters and their true colors, I should briefly state my opinion. Although the true colors quiz is merely a game, like that of one's horoscope, I believe it labels a person to a degree in which the individual ends of scrutinizing themselves, or thinking too much of the matter. Completely my opinion, I know. And now for the main event.

When I read The Crucible and began searching for clues to what color John Proctor may be, I had a hard time looking, until I read about him selling out Abigail as a "whore" and basically confesses his affair with the young woman. I believe Proctor is gold. A gold person tends to represent value and strength. For the Proctor to publicly admit his wrongdoing, and ruin his reputation in the town, is something very admirable that I believe deserves gold credit.

I think Abigail is one of the most simple characters so far in The Crucible. She is very easy to understand (could it be, another example of Puritan writing...). From the beginning, I was able to grasp that Abigail is a very carefree kind of character. She acts mostly like a child, very energetic and sort of immature. Sorry to all of you orange's out there, but I think Abigail's character represents orange. I also believe she represents somewhat of a blue character too, though. Mainly because of her simplicity throughout the story.

Mary Warren is the Proctor's servant. She came off to me as being a very strong gold character because of her dedication to not back down and stick up for what she says. Despite the fact that she was basically bossed around all of the time because of her social status, she made the best of her situation by having a very headstrong personality. In one example, Mary states that she is going to court everyday despite what her master tells her. I think this is very brave on her part. For one, Proctor could have really been angry and punish Mary. Who knows what the outcome could have been, but even still Mary sticks up for her beliefs and does not let people walk over her. I think this strongly represents a gold personality.

Finally, I think a very obvious color for Reverend John Hale is green with a hint of gold. He acts like he knows it all when it comes to witchcraft and he wants to be somewhat of a hero when he rids the devil from Salem. Green people are those people who do all the research and have to be right in their mind, while the gold people are more strong and in my opinion, cocky, people. I believe Hale represents these characteristics very efficiently because of his dedication (especially in the beginning of the story) to aid in the supposed witchcraft suspicion.

Overall, each color was well represented throughout what I have read so far in the story. Although I do not have time to blog about every character, I believe each one plays a vital role in the story's overall personality diversity.

Miller, Arthur. The Crucible. New York, NY: Penguin, 1996. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment